febbraio 10, 2014

#MYWRITINGPROCESS BLOG TOUR

Last week my friend and fellow writer Liz Flanagan invited me to take part in the blog tour #mywritingprocess, where writers talk about their work. First of all I was worried about my English. Later I thought, what’s the matter it’s just a bit of  Fun!  And so here we are.
I mainly consider myself an illustrator but I also love to write stories and sometimes I get to illustrate them too. Here below are my answers. Thanks in advance for reading!

In this period I am concentrating on the forthcoming Bologna Children's Book Fair taking place in March.
It's a great opportunity to present my work to publishers, coming from all around the world. So I am working on several fronts: texts for Picture books as well as new illustrations to show. Time seems to be running too fast right now!


Thinking about the books that  I've written and illustrated I can say that there is a common thought and that it is to not give up, to use what you have and to be flexible. I'm basically an optimistic person and thanks to my mother who taught me the art of getting by (perhaps typically Italian?) I try to train this art of flexibility that I believe is essential to be able to live quite peacefully. So I can say that in my stories this is the thread for now. I think that a good picture book needs to be intriguing, mysterious, funny, captivating. Every time you read it, you should discover something new that increases your love for it. Every time I write and illustrate I try to get this.


Why Children Books? I think because I love Children books. I'm fascinated by books that combine text and illustration, so interesting that you observe and read without stopping for a long time. I always liked to look at the pictures related to a text. When I was little I spent hours on the books. I love short texts without frills.


First there is inspiration. I am taking inspiration from what I can read, I can see, I can hear, I can touch, I can taste. I like to think that I use all my five senses to develop an idea. The story concept usually comes first, then the main character, but sometimes the main character comes first. In any case the whole story develops itself step by step by connections between characters and scenes. To me  the beginning and the end of the story are very important. If  I don’t know how to end it I can’t start and develop the whole story.

Once again thank you so much for reading so far, I hope you enjoyed this interview and have fun with children books!



On Monday 17 February two of my writer-illustrator friends will also be pleased to share their
work experience. You’ll find them here below.

Alessandra Montrucchio was born in 1970 in Turin, where she still lives and works as an editor and translator. Since many years she writes a column called Bad Girls for the newspaper La Stampa's supplement "Torinosette". She has published several novels and collections of short stories, including Cardiofitness (that was translated into English and German and inspired a movie of the same name), Non riattaccare (Selezione Bancarella Prize 2006) and E poi la sete (Acquiambiente Prize 2011). When she's not reading or writing, she likes playing with her dog or attending ballet and jazz dance classes. 


She doesn't like keeping a blog that she considers as a virtual diary, then she has not a proper blog but you will be able to read her interview as my guest here.



Eva Montanari started out as a children’s books author and illustrator while she was still a student in Milan. Now she is an internationally recognized artist that wrote and illustrated children books that have been published in Italy, United States, Japan, Taiwan, France, Spain, UK and Germany. Apart from writing and illustrating books, Eva illustrates calendars, book covers, posters and contributions for magazines and agencies.

Her artwork has been shown in many exhibitions all over the world.
Her work has been selected several times for the Original Art Show of the Society of Illustrators in New York, Ilustrarte exhibition (Portugal), Sarmede Illustration Exhibition, Nami Island Exhibition and for the International Exhibition of Bologna Children’s Book Fair.

Eva holds illustration’s workshops in Italy and abroad.
She blogs here

Use the hashtag #mywritingprocess to find more blogs.